You are here
Church Releases First Episode in Book of Mormon Videos Series: Lehi Leaves Jerusalem
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has officially released the first episode in their four-season series Book of Mormon Videos. This series will tell the story of the Book of Mormon through captivating visuals and engaging story telling. Season 1 recounts Lehi's journey to the Promised Land with his family, in addition to all the material through the book of Enos. One video will be released each Friday through the end of 2019 to complete Season 1.
Episode one of Season one runs 18 minutes long and explores Lehi's personal growth from concerned disciple to prophet of the Lord. The video covers the events in 1 Nephi 1–2. Viewers will watch Lehi receive his prophetic call in a vision from the Lord, Lehi depart from Jerusalem with his family, Laman and Lemuel's mounting tensions in the family, and Lehi's eloquent poem in the Valley of Lemuel.
The First Presidency said in a statement on September 20, 2019:
It is our hope that these videos will lead to increased study and understanding of the teachings of the Book of Mormon. The videos should support but not replace personal study of the Book of Mormon. We invite all to use the videos and images at home and at church. They may also be used in introducing others to the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Church also announced the release schedule for all the forthcoming videos in 2019:
- September 27: Nephi Is Led by the Spirit to Obtain the Plates of Brass |1 Nephi 3–5
- October 4: Ishmael’s Household Joins Lehi’s Family | 1 Nephi 7
- October 11: Lehi Sees a Vision of the Tree of Life | 1 Nephi 8
- October 18: The Lord Guides Lehi’s Journey | 1 Nephi 16
- October 25: The Lord Commands Nephi to Build a Ship | 1 Nephi 17–18
- November 1: Lehi’s Family Sails to the Promised Land | 1 Nephi 18
- November 8: Lehi Gives His Family a Final Blessing | 2 Nephi 1–4
- November 15: The Nephites Separate from the Lamanites | 2 Nephi 5
- November 22: Jacob Teaches of the Atonement of Jesus Christ | 2 Nephi 6–10
- November 29: Nephi Teaches the Doctrine of Christ | 2 Nephi 31–32
- December 6: Nephi Records His Final Testimony | 2 Nephi 33
- December 13: Jacob Teaches about Pride and Chastity | Jacob 2–3
- December 20: Sherem Denies Christ | Jacob 7
- December 27: Enos Prays Mightily | Enos 1
The videos can be found on ChurchofJesusChrist.org, in the Gospel Library app and on the new Book of Mormon Videos YouTube channel. Still photographs of each episode will also be published with each new video. Images for Episode 1, covering 1 Nephi 1–2 can be found in the Gospel Media Library.
The Church has made it clear that the visualization of events in these videos has no intention of communicating any preference for or Church position regarding where the events of the Book of Mormon took place.
Get the latest updates on Book of Mormon topics and research for free